Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Happy times with my Uncle, Sir Richard Lai

Two Christmases ago

Mum has four younger brothers: Francis, Richard, Michael and Joseph, all Roman Catholics from SFI, Malacca. I honed my English Language by reading materials from them: whole volumes of Catholic Digests, class readers and moral books from the Senior Cambridge syllabus (equivalent of the SPM now) as I had no access to libraries and my parents did not buy me books.
Since Uncle Richard stays in PJ, he always looked out for me right from the time I came to KL to study at the Uni Malaya, providing me with food, board, lodging and transport until I found permanent digs of my own. I was a small town girl finding my bearings with my mum in tow.
Sir RLai



We had a very "meriah" and "yit lau" Christmas buffet
Dr. Pauline, Dr. Anbarasu, Irene, Ivan, Brandon, Sue, Ken, Jenn all came to add to the merriment!


Receiving his decoration from the Pope

Christmas 2010

New Year's Day 2011


He visited me




On the day that I left for China, Pauline phoned me about his passing. I had left my handphone at home.





About me (Sir Richard Lai)
Past International President of CICIAMS ( International Committee of Catholic Nurses and Medical Social Assistants ) 1986-1990 and 1998-2002.
Past member of the Pontifical Council of Pastoral Health Care Workers and Pontifical Council of Cor Unum.
Faculty member for the World Day of the Sick in Vannakani, India and Asian Family Services, Chinnai, India.
Former chairperson of the international Group on Family Life of CICIAMS.
Was decorated by Pope John Paul II on Knight Commander of St Gregory the Great in 1990 and the ceremony took place at the UN assembly hall in New York by Cardinal Javier Barrangon.


sites he created:


                                                                       Full CV of
                                                                     Sir Richard Lai
1970 Founder member of the Catholic Nurses Guild of Malaysia
1976 Hosted the 2nd Asian CICIAMS Conference in Kuala Lumpur
1978-1986 Elected Asian President of CICIAMS
1983-1986 Founder Member of the Natural Family Planning Service of Malaysia
1983-1986 Faculty Member Advisory Board, Asian Family Services, India
1986-1990 Elected International President CICIAMS in Lisbon
1990-1998 1st Vice President of CICIAMS
1990 Decorated Knight Commander of St Gregory the Great By Pope John Paul II at the 10th
World Congress of CICIAMS in New York by Renato Cardinal Rafaela Matino Vatican’s
Permanent Representative to UN.
1988-1998 Head of CICIAMS International Study Commission on Family Life elected in Munich
1984-1989 Member of Pontifical Council of Cor Unum on Health
1987-1994 Member Pontifical Council for Pastoral Health Workers
1998-2002 Elected International President of CICIAMS for a second term in Taiwan
2002-2006 lst Vice President of CICIAMS
1995- Delegate to the International Congress of the Unborn in Tokyo
1998-2006 Delegate to WHO Regional Committee for the Pacific Region
2007-2010 Advisor to CNG, NFP and Catholic Pharmacists Malaysia
2008-2010 Webmaster in creating websites for CNG and Catholic Pharmacists

No comments: