Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

I love Putu Mayam

While waiting for my daughter to come back from Singapore, outside Jace's house in Pandan, 
I saw the putu mayam man selling it to the
Indian Auntie next door!

 I have not tasted putu mayam since I was first introduced to it by my University friend, Doreen Chee, a few decades ago!
 I always see the putu mayam man on his motorbike on the roads and I cannot possibly flag him down in the middle of the highway! So when he was right before my eyes, I jumped out of my car and started snapping at him with a frenzy (asked his permission first, though)
 clumps of the putu inside the tin box
 compartments for brown sugar, cocomut shreds, and vadai'
with newspapers and plastic bags for wrapping

 I also bought doughnut shaped vadai and round vadai
 putu mayam is basically a vegetarian delight served only with brown sugar and coconut
 tamil writing (I wrote beautiful Tamil calligraphy at university! I did!)
 only fifty sen per piece, so delicious, I ate the rice twirls with a bit of sugar and a bit of coconut, with my fingers, it is actually nothing much, but it was so pure and pristine it  tasted like simplicity personified.
doughnut shaped vadai (not crispy) and round vadai...very nice with crispy outer layer and bits of dhall, chick peas, curry leaves and spices...surprise with every bite...only 50 sen too, the whole thing with the putu mayam costs me only 3 ringgit, should have given  him 10 ringgit for the photo session!

No comments: