Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Jelly making Workshop

October is breast-cancer awareness month and of all the activities held merata-rata, I chose "Jelly Good time" organised by Royal Selangor Pewter at its showroom in Setapak.
The tagline reads "An appetite for life, love and humour!" hmmmm, my sentiments exactly.

This jelly mould is designed by Nick Munro and he chose the conical shape to signify conquering mountains of hope and aspirations:
"I've always been inspired by mountains.
They challenge us to overcome our fears!"
- Nick Munro

The pink apron that we CANNOT take home!!!!

Event was held at the cafe of the factory cum showroom in No 6, Jalan Usahawan (Datin Paduka Chen......I am helping you to advertise you place among my friends!!!)

This cafe used to be run by Coffee Bean which found it hard to cover costs, so now it is home run, and Royal Selangor made pots, (of money) serving home made pastries, scones...with main menu changing everyday: laksa, prawn mee........(I was told)

My personal chef who is going to demonstrate the art of making gourmet jelly: Jewels Beneath the Snow" recipe by Delicious Cafe.

Er, he put on the apron and tied it for me but he is too shy to be photographed doing it, so now we are posing...

His assistant got ready all the ingredients while he tried explaining but I wasn't listening, I was busy shooting.

This design is fantastic because you can make all sorts of visually pleasing jello

After making the jelly, you can take this home....but I will give you a new one...he says!!!

Green sago, lima beans, orange and pink sago, almond flakes, kiwi fruit, cling peaches, colourful rice sprinkles

Closer view of the ingredients...we can used any combination we like

Jelly used here is Konyaku jelly which hardens very fast, so we had to work fast!

Any jewels under the snow were soon forgotten!!!

I chose purple dye which was not a good idea, blue is best


Plastic cup is for you to mix any colour you like for the white jello

All the colours of the rainbow, but we can only make one jelly!!!


I was so engrossed in making the jelly, I forgot to take pcitures of the layers that I coloured and the stuff that I put in the centre.....so here is the finished product!
My concoction: No jewels under the snow but gaudy colourful "pain in the head jewels on top of the Iranian carpet"...that is the name for my design!!!
After all that hard work, it is time for tea!



Here I am with Datin Paduka Chen Mun Kuen, the director of Royal Selangor. She has absolutely no airs, I saw her clearing the crockery and even serving tea to her employees!

Datin Paduka Chen Mun Kuen showing me her prized tea set, at more than a thousand a piece...

These are not for decor or props...tea and coffee are actually served inside!

The melon tea set, a reproduction of the founder's teapot.

An array of tea delectables, all home made by in house cafe....

Scones!! and assorted sandwiches

I had a long drive ffrom Kinrara to Setapak, so I heaped my plates..Two plates!!! Scones with fresh cream and jam....nom nom ....



Then it was time for taking out the jelly, a tricky skill which requires patience!

All the chilled and hardened creations had names on the mug

Overuse and overkill of white, unidentifiable stuff

My beautiful creation: The Iranian Carpet : Fruits of the Loom

Watch how my friend tries to take out her jello

You have to push the knife gingerly round the sides, taking care not to kill the jello

Ha ha ha!!!! disaster!!! Her jelly toppled!!

Another disaster!! Forked tongue of colourful snake!


Wait for this: my wonderful creation....ready to be released from its mould by the master chef (me!)

so effortlessly I coaxed the jelly to leave its side....

Then I overturn it on the cover of my box, that Datin supplied for me...look how confident I am, can pose somemore.....(all these pictures are taken by my personal assistant, Maria who accompanied me throughout the entire process)



Teng teng teng teng teng!!!! BEAUTIFUL right? Absolute conical shape without any collapse or mutated distortion whatsoever!!!


MY beautiful, beautiful cone shaped, upright perfectly formed jelly that I gave birth to.

You know, I have the gut feeling that my jelly will turn out right, my maternal instincts.

Now I show you other people's calamities:.....

Slightly tilted and less than conically upright..

Top is detached precariously, dangerously from its bottom base


The aforementioned forked tongue two pronged jello reproduced here for effect

Distorted and mishapenned cone with unappetising colour combination (I am evil right)

The above jellies are the off springs of these lucky bank people ( I forgot which bank) sponsored to foster togetherness at work

Posing with my jelly and my fellow jelly makers

Jelly made by my group....before she photograph her jelly she arranged all the props

My takeaway jelly mould

Here I present to you the lovely garden where we had our tea ..the screen is "METALESCE" a Selangor pewter original.

The bank people had gone for their school of hard knocks session

I like the anthurium in pewter vase and glass doors that afford a sweeping vista of the lush foliage without (I should have gone into advertising or copywriting!)

Zen-like feel that invokes a tranquil sombre mood

The bank group left their bags here.....utterly safe

For formal black tie do

Koi carps under the stairs

A taller version of the zen vase

Minimalistic bar tables and stools, if you see this in my house, I copied the look from here!

Bye!!! thanks for sharing!!!

No comments: