Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mugwort or Motherwort

When I was a young girl living in a shop house
in a small town, my mom had a mugwort patch
the way people had a pumpkin patch.
My earliest memory was when Mom will say "May, 
go to the garden to get me a bunch of Ngei!"
And she will make soup with it.
Or fry mussels with it.
I hated it. We kids hated it! It tasted pungent,
and it was from our garden, it grew like weeds!!
We turned up our  noses at ngei!!!


When the waiter brought this omelette dish, Loo
(my friend, same name) said:
"I don't know what it is in English 
but in Hakka it is NGEI!!"

OMG, NGEI!!!

I have not heard of this word for 30 years
and I have not tasted Ngei for as many years!

 Ngei in Hakka means Ants!
In Hokkien it is called "Hia"
you can see the chinese name
and the English name is mugwort
or motherwort
http://www.google.com.my/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0&oq=motherw&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_en-GBMY452MY453&q=motherwort
this is what ngei looks like,
It is a wonder herb.

the owner produced this article when
Teo asked him what the name of
the veg is in Chinese and English

it can be pounded and used as a poultice for all ills




There are several references to the Chinese using mugwort in cuisine. The famous Chinese poet Sū Shì (蘇軾) in the 11th century mentioned it in one of his poems. There are even older poems and songs that can be tracked back to 3 BC. Mainly it was called lóuhāo (蒌蒿) or Ai Tsao (艾草 zh:艾草) in Mandarin. Mugwort can be prepared as a cold dish or can be stir-fried with fresh or smoked meat. The Hakka Taiwanese also use it to make chhú-khak-ké (鼠麹粿, 草仔粿).
Mugwort is used in the practice of traditional Chinese medicine in a pulverized and aged form called moxa.

I wished I had a picture of my mother's mugwort patch, it grew like weeds, luxuriant and happy after the rain!

Mugwort Omelet
Serves 2

Ingredients:

a handful of mugwort leaves, chopped
3 organic eggs, beaten
100ml water
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp of light soy sauce

Steps:

1. Mix the chopped mugwort leaves with beaten egg. Season it with a tbsp of light soy sauce.

2. Heat up oil in a wok, fry the omelet till cooked. Over-turn to fry the other side.

3. When the omelet is cooked, divide it into portions. Add water and bring to a boil. Dish up and serve hot.

(from "eating pleasure, little inbox recipe")

3 comments:

Sue Lin said...

Wah u blog so much!!! I thought i just read everything not long ago, suddenly there is so much to read again!! But good stuff to read =)

Was the ngei ommelette good?

Ah E cooks the same lotus thingie soup u cook. And she cooks sardine with onion quite a few times, she said it was her favourite when she was young n Laeti likes it too. She says that her mom cooks it. I said u never mention the sardine, u always mention the soups ur mom cooks. She said its because u liked the soups.

MK Loo said...

No, the ommelete was horrible!!! ha ha ha....the other Loo ta pau it because nobody ate it!!

u also like soups too, like me!!hehe

Sue Lin said...

Ya la, because of u i love hot soups and hot food and spicy food! Lae is the only one who cant eat spciy. She is the most Aussie, El n Ryz like spicy