Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Paan Meen Lunch

On Sunday, the 2 maids went out, so I ta pau Paan Meen from Taman Midah for lunch!

5 packets of Paan Meen (hey, I don't know what it is called in English)
So nice and nutricious (confort food)...egg, mushrooms, anchovies and flour noodles in soup
we like the noodles to be "mit" or torn off in irregular shapes!
and a type of vegetable that I used to eat when I was young, my mother called it "mali chai"
The girl will roll out the noodles for you, whether stringed or torn off ("mit")

Each serving is individually cooked in separate sauce pans of pre cooked soup
the cooking area is certainly nothing to look at! In fact it might put some people off!
More soup for the soup base!

Only this vegetable will do for this dish!
My childhood friend, that I have not tasted for close to 20 years.
except in Paan Meen,
a branch of the bamboo (I think it is called cekur manis in malay and I do not know the English version)
You run the stalks through your fingers and all the leaves drop out!!! The leaves are waterproof and you have to crush them a little, ever so gently so as not to smash them when you wash them. Oh! My childhood at the shop in Jalan Mohd Akil!

No comments: