Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Trip down memory lane at Petaling Street

Since I left my old school which is situated near
Petaling Street, I have not been there for about  a year.
So, when I had a meeting at the PPD at Jalan Hang Jebat,
I made a trip to Petaling Street to recapture old memories.

 KL Commercial (selling chinese books) Bookt Store is still there
 Jalan Hang Jebat or used to be High Street where all the gold smith shops were situated
 Many old shops are slowly disappearing, soon to make way for the MRT
 Actually, old and historic, heritage buildings are what the tourists come here for...
 As always, masssage parlours and reflexology centres seem to be springing up everywhere
I saw a vagrant choosing used clothes and mattress from a discarded heap!
 The homeless man taking his pick
 Nam Heong Restaurant since 1938 managed to last till now
 CNY!!!!
 Blindingly red Peonies!!!
 De rigeur for chinese new year
 Tourists waiting for their coach to take them to their next itinerary
 This sidewalk cafe reminds me of Paris's cafes!!! only this has a local flavour
 So nice right? So touristy looking too!!!
 Tourists chilling out
 Note the cars and taxis notoriously close to the sidewalk tables

 To add to the CNY mood.....
 A sidewalk calligraphist producing couplets
 Then I saw these school boys taking the short cut to their school,
I used to do that too!!!! I took this road to come to Petaling Street
for my breakfast when I had Saturday duties at the office.
 Red lanterns!!!
 The advantage of your school near this street is that you get to come here before or after school to get your school supplies, to eat or just to hang out.....
 More CNY five foot way offerings: lanterns and artificial flowers
 CNY cookies
 A modern addition: CHATIME!!!!
No queue yet at Chatime because it is not peak hour yet..

I do miss the old Petaling Street....
.
.
.
.
.
in 2003

(8 years ago when I started teaching here)

No comments: