Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Siput sedut Masak lemak(Snails!!!)

I love to eat snails or  siput. I love to eat siput sedut masak lemak style! (Siput is snail, sedut is suck, masak lemak is cooked in santan). I love to eat siput sedut masak lemak from the only stall I am sure to find it in, and that is at Taman Shamelin. Gosh, I love these snails! 

Hehe... the helper readily poses for me and she says I must get the name of the stall in my picture ROSE Gerai 4!

 Actually I have not been here for a long time and I did not really know which stall or gerai to go to or even whether I can recognize the stall owner...but she called to me..”siput!!! Siput” ...okay okay, I’ve found the siput stall!

Oh my!!! Look st those siput bathed in the Santan gravy that I crave (santan is coconut milk) the Malays  call it masak lemak, hence the name of the dish. 

She scooped a bowl for me; rm5.00’s worth .. with rice, and the stall owner is sitting behind me to watch me eat! 


She says she always cook 2 kg of siput when she can find it in the market and it finishes by the end of the day. It is not an easy task cooking it as you have to wash it thoroughly from the mud and debris , then clip the sharp ends one by one before cooking it in the spices and coconut milk. Customers like to ta pau (takeaway) rm3 packs for their family. 

I also had beef bone soup which the helper heated up for me.

My whole meal costs me RM10.00, I also had chili eggplants which was not included in my bill as she said ten ringgit is clean and easy to charge me.

By the way to eat the siput, you suck on the broad end until a curly wurly thingy comes out, don’t forget to spit out the scaly “door stopper “! It really does not taste great unlike lala or shellfish but I love to suck it out (sedut) and I love the santan gravy and I love going to visit the stall owner and her helpers ! 

It is situated at Taman Shamelin Ulu Pudu park at the food court called Park Corner. 

The other name for siput is Belitung the scientific name for these snails is 

Cerithidea obtusa  


And yes, I did a google check on the nutritional value of the siput and this is what I found: 

“The nutritional fact showed thattheseafood has low saturated fat. It has a good source of protein and potassium. Cerithidea obtusa has an excellent source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), iron, magnesium, phosphorus, copper and selenium. However, the content of cholesterol is high which is not suitable for those who had diabetes. The results showed that Cerithidea obtusa obtains unusuall low in fat; 100g of Cerithidea obtusa contain only 1.8 grams of fat with slightly more unsaturated than saturated fat. Whereas for calories, a 100-gram serving of Cerithidea obtusa provides 67 calories and maximumcalories in a dish of snails came from protein.”

 Source: “Concentration of Heavy Metal and Nutrients Fact of Pontian Johor Cerithidea Obtusa”

No comments: