Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cross Country Station at my ex-school

My first event on 7th February was cross country
and my station was at my ex-school,
the third school that I've taught in.


so changed: new colours, new blocks
even new name and new badge.

 still in my 30's when I taught there, and just had two children, born when I was still teaching in Kajang.

this is the last year the nation would be having domestic science, 
from thenceforth, students will be doing Living Skills instead.
I was sent for a course and here I am judging them in their table setting skills.
 Circled is the girl's badge: the one with the "key" emblem, which gave the school the misnomer "KEY BRAND School" which was deemed derogatory. Au Contraire, I think the key and the book is a great logo, because the book is the key to all knowledge and everyone knows that the key unlocks all manner of treasure in the quest for the unknown: even the Malay proverb goes like this: Kunci tangga kejayaan. (Key is the step to success)
the old badge with an open book and a gigantic key, simple and effective, even my small son could see the badge from the road and recognise it as the school mummy taught in.
 can you see the key logo on the wall of the school hall? This school was known as "key brand" school!
(Sekolah Cap Kunci)
New coat of paint with a new badge. This was implemented by the then Headmaster, who had also wanted to change another  premier school's name and badge but luckily was met with great resistance : (Victoria Inst.)
new badge chosen by the headmaster then, who also elevated me to the post of Afternoon Supervisor.
 More old pics that I dug up...do you think I look good?
 I think I took the trouble to dress up
because it was not so hot then,
temperatures seemed to have soared nowadays
due to the infamous global warming
and I do not wear dresses with coatie now.


 My colleague, he is still there!!! I have changed like, another three schools! 
 this is something new too, sign posts to various locations in the school
 wow!!! the gymnasium, it must be about 40 years old!
do you know that the Malay Movie: Siapa Dia starring Nina Juren and Faizal Hussein was shot
in this gym when I was the afternoon supervisor in 1996! The following year I transferred to Convent.
"Siapa Dia" was a fun movie though not very well known :http://retroevergreen.com/filem/filem-melayu/siapa-dia-1996. The beautiful lead actress later became Datin Haznina Juren.


 In front of the school where there used to be a parking lot for parents to pick up the students is now a still unoccupied low rise condominum block.
 This is the guardpost with the name of this up- market and walk- up maisonette.
 Anyway, I digress. Back to the cross-country: the students have reached my station!
 Poor city kids! They have to run neck and neck with the Saturday morning rush hour traffic!
 Pounding the tarmac of tarred road fringed with monsoon drains. 
 I remember my first cross-country: at my first school in Parit Sulong: (a rural school in Johor)
 real country paths in real secondary forests with monkeys instead of heavy traffic!
 gutsy girl : she completed the whole race

 my pre_U students gave out the cards at this station
 posing with our official school photographer: you can view the entire cross-country photos at his fb page:
Mohd Nasrul's "Merentas Desa" Photos


 my Pre-U gang
the fb tag of me by Nasrul
 Me as a young teacher then
And me now as a senior (read OLD) teacher, too tired to stand!!!!

1 comment:

Kaiju Malaya said...

Wow...stumble your blog when i googling Cheras cap kunci logo. I was student there from 91 to 95. Yup I still remembered your face back then. BTW The new logo is Haji Samat idea... (you remember him huh) Short and Grumpy guy... Always slapping people.. but his a great guy... managed to polished SMC.

Anyway..wish you luck and happiness.