Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Souvenir Hunting in Ho Chi Minh City

While we were chilling out on the streets,
these friendly vendors came to sell their wares

 Mom with baby in tow, 
 and man with good selection of shades and lighters
 what we bought
 fan with embroidered peacock
 we did not buy a lot
 shoulder bag with Viet girls
 peanut brittle
 chocolate flavoured coconut sweets
 two tubs of royal jelly

I bought the royal jelly because I can remember this man
who used to come to my father's sinseh shop every night
for his royal jelly drink in a glass ampoule.
My father would bring out this box of ampoules, break one
for him, (using a sand heart shape cutter on the neck of the glass))
and he would drink one, every night.
He looked a robust, healthy,sanguine (boosted his virility)
hot blooded male and that convinced me to buy them
(not that I want to be a hot blooded male!)
Then, he stopped coming, I asked Dad why,
the reply: HE NEVER PAID!!!!!!
the cheapskate bugger.....
wooden balancing dragonfly, viet dolls, and handphone accents 
 daughter's bag for herself 


lacquer vase from the lacquer factory.
 daughter decided she did not have enough to give her friends
 so we went to the streets looking for more the next day
but couldn't find any
 so we are now at the airport waiting to go back
 more expensive at the airport, but he seriously felt he had not enough to 
give his boss and colleagues
 browsing for the right stuff..........


2 comments:

Sue Lin said...

I'm lucky my colleagues do not exchange souveniers! Otherwise it would be a headache to always think of others when u are on holiday. I have one friend who was a TOTAL slave when we went to Krabi! She was hunting ALL the time and running back to the hotel because there wasnt much time left before our flight, even at the airport she was buying things for her grandma. She was carrying plastic bags on in the airport n i lent her one of those green bags to carry. CRAZY

MK Loo said...

My office staff likes to get souvenirs from teachers who go on trips, they call it "ole ole" and J's friends travel an awful lot, they get her expensive keychains and she feels she must buy them stuff too.