Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Cooking Poon Choy and Pumpkin Curry Prawns

For my Chinese New Year Dinner Party, 
I wanted to impress my guests so I tried my hand at cooking poon choy.

some of the things that will go into the pot:
I cut the ingredients listed in Dragon-i's newspaper promotion 
and took daughter grocery shopping.

She looked at the list, read it and her face grew increasingly incredulous!!!

MUM!!!! I've never heard of all these ingredients!! 
AND THEY ARE NOT EDIBLE!!!
and no wonder: fsih maw, black moss, bamboo piths, among others, she had not even known about them, let alone eat them!!!

Anyway, my first stop was to buy some radish for the base of the soup at the bottom of the pot

then I looked for some of the items still available after CNY:
dried fish maw, beancurd skin, dried scallops, mushrooms...

abalone was not available, so I settled for pacific clams/
 My poon choy...is it impressive?

Then, I wanted to cook double boiled winter melon soup and then serve it in the hollowed out melon itself
Me? carry this melon to the carpark?  Oh NO...NO WAY!!!!
She would only help me to carry this: golden pumpkin!!!
 That was how I came to have curry prawns in golden pumpkin...hardly the dish for CNY!!!
 But the presentation looked great, don't you think?

 Another way to serve the prawns, ala prawn cocktail style!!
My CNY dinner!!!

No comments: