Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Siput Sedut Masak Lemak

Being a true blue Johorean, I love siput!!! When I was expecting my No I more than 20 years ago, I went to my classmate, Guat Ngo's house and saw her brother cleaning and clipping a whole lot of siput.  (Her father was a fishmonger and she lived near the river along Jalan Pantai).  She invited me for dinner with siput.  Somehow, I went home without partaking of the dish of siput.  THAT NIGHT, I DREAMT I ATE SIPUT!! Omg. how could I have denied my pregnant self such a craving!  Great harm could have befallen my unborn baby for not satisfying my chance of eating siput. Many, many years later, whenever I see siput, I just have to have them!

deliciously sinfully swimming in multitude of sins sea of  santan, chili, and spices, the "lemak" part
siput with the ends clipt off to facilitate the "sedut"ing or sucking.

I first I only took a handful, because with hepatitis, other assorted diseases and such associated with seafood I was wary..
then I went for seconds, and the mak cik gave me a bowl!
Look at the siput! SROOOOOOT! Sroot! I had such fun sucking the curly wurly insides out! Not everyone can do it.  You have to have the correct technique.
Till my lips became hot from the chilli padi!
close up look of the flesh, actually, it has no taste, the taste came from the lemak chili gravy. I do not know what nutirtional value it has, though. There is a whole warong dedicated to siput in Johor Bahru:

Siput Sedut Lemak Cili Api
Jalan Dato’ Musa, Pengkalan Rinting
Johor Bahru,
Can you see it? EEEK !! He he he,it  doesn't exactly look appetising, does it? Not much of a taste either!  BTW you have to spit out the little round fish scale like thing that protects the flesh from the outside of the shell.
What's left! A pile of the shells! That bowl of siput costs me RM2 ! I am the only person in the who family who actually devours this stuff.

1 comment:

Sue Lin said...

HAHAHHA i love ur picture of the siput outside its shell. Looks so cute! And so clear, can see every grain of rice