Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Warong

Back in the early 80's when I started teaching, I was posted to a place called Parit Sulong.  Basinah, Sia Yong Soon(deceased brilliant Physics teacher) and I used to go to the warong, a little hut where they sold food like Mee Bandung, Mee Soto, authentic Javanese fare from real Javanese immigrants (orang Jawa) not the illegal Lombok variety that entice malaysian village girls to run away with them.  The best mee bandung and mee soto I had ever savoured were from that part of Johore:

 Parit Sulong. 

Pn Basinah and Mr Sia and I spent many a lanquid afternoons in those "warongs". (At that time I have never even heard of a warong. Basinah always would say.."Let's go to the warong! and I would say, "warong? what's that?" Now I say, "Let's go to the warong!" but Sia is no longer with us and I have lost trace of Basinah.
Wonder if they (the warongs) are still there?

This is the closest I can get to a warong in Kuala Lumpur. The dishwasher (a man washing dishes, not the machine) hides from me .....(I am a brazen photo shooter)

make shift steps to the raised warong(if I may call it that) and the nasi lemak station

I could see the Proton service centre from the warong


the warong is but a shed

the out of this world nasi lemak that costs me only four ringgit, with egg, drumstick and generous helping of sambal sotong

view from where I was sitting

ha ha ha! my favorite "yau yee sou" as Aunt Janet (James' mum) will call it. (tentacles of the squid)

view of the kitchen. btw it is off peak breakfast, so there are no other customers except me.


pick of the day's dailies too




stag horn ferns and lush foliage



you don't get scenes like this in KL anymore....

almost dirt road where I can see the rows of accident wrecked MyVs.....which is the subject of my next blog post.......
My breakfast costs me RM5.30 with kopi-o.

2 comments:

rlai said...

It makes my mouth waters more. Perhaps we canngo to Warong - Parit Sulong one of these days

Sue Lin said...

I used to eat there when i serviced my kancil but never took pix! Ur pictures are great! And i miss my Kancil, so glad it will still be there when i come back. Please run the engine from time to time