Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

My Friend Drove me to School in his Jaguar Sports

My first school was a  kampung school.
One day my mother said, "Mei, there is Jaguar Sports
outside the gate waiting to fetch you to school."

Still groggy, I staggered to the door.
There, just as she said, was the Jaguar Sports, at the driver's seat was my friend C,
with his sidekick, and my friend, Jessie Ng.
 I dressed hurriedly and with great misgivings, got into the car!
(car for illustration purposes only)

When we reached the gates of the school, all the
school children gawked.

This is my friend C.
He is the brother of my friend, the mother 
of the groom. When my classmate Janet
told him I was present, he came over to see me!
We have lost touch for decades.
He had missed me at the previous Batu Pahat wedding
of Janet's daughter.

This is his family business, and his brother
had just bought the Jaguar Sports (I cannot 
remember what model but it should be in the year 1979 0r 1980)
We met when I was  about 16 or 17,
when I attended his sister (my Form 6 classmate)'s birthday party 
(getting complicated? ha ha ha...he has many brothers
and sisters.)
The party was at the top floor.
Many years have passed. I left to study in KL. He married
this girl from Cameron Highlands 12 years younger. 
And I married the "lor kun" that my father predicted.

No comments: