Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

No Cinemas in Bangi

"Having a cinema will lead to vice activities and there will be films not in line with Islamic and eastern values.  We do not want to corrupt the minds of our young."

"Among those who want a cinema here are people looking to make a profit whereas we are looking out for society," said Dr Shafie Abu Bakar from PAS. "We want to uphold  values"

Read more here: Cinema still a no-no in Bangi
http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2011/10/19/central/9693227&sec=central


I was teaching in a Kajang school for five years and a lot of my students were children of lecturers from Bangi, an intellectual town with lots of universities hence, home to lecturers and their off-springs who were well-rounded, matured, balanced and very good in English.  So, I was perturbed and sad to read that there are no cinemas in Bangi!!!

"With academic institutions in Bangi, we worry about social problems should a cinema be built here"

Law SD, an avid moviegoer said "It seems we are moving back  in time.  Vice activities can happen anywhere. Just because there is no cinema here does not mean that there will not be vice activities in the area.
Others should not be deprived of watching a movie.  It is just a cinema and a place where families can go to, not just couples."

I am an avid movie goer too!!! I grew up on a diet of Run Run Shaw's movies!!! The One Armed Swordsman! (Wang Yu and David Chiang)  Chen Chen and Lin Ching Hsia's Taiwan love stories!!!
Michael Caine! Franco Nero! My Fair Lady! Barbra Streisand!

Besides books, movies transport me
 to
 worlds I never knew existed, 
scenarios I never envisaged, 
backgrounds I could not envision,
  illustrations I could not visualise,
 they fire my imagination,
they fuel my romanticism,
they fan my creativity 
and they feed my fantasies 
(c'mon everyone has one!)
Best of all, they give me a vocabulary that is the envy of many.

Is my mind corrupted? Am I always engaged in vice activities!!! Do I harbour evil thoughts, perverted aversions, twisted warped perceptions? Am I itching to rush out to dabble in dare-devilry, derogatory sex-deprived acts,  debauchery, tomfoolery and demon-worship? Maybe some latent, hidden, suppressed, repressed and dominatrix sado-masochistic tendencies hitherto buried deep within me are about to surface, because I watched a movie!
Residents of Bangi protesting against ban on cinemas.

No comments: