Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Chinese Temple and Chinese Stalls in Batam

In Batam we visited a Chinese temple

 18 handed God sitting on Lotus
 going down the steps from the temple
 a sculpture of the Chinese Junk ferrying Admiral Cheng Ho to Malacca
 You can see the characters in Chinese: CHEN HE (must be Tay's forefather...CHEN is mandarin for Tay)
PronunciationZhèng, Cheng (Mandarin)
Tay, Teh or The (Hokkien,Teochew)
 "chiang" on his shirt front means "pawn" or "soldier" I think....I must google it


 that's me, joining the ride to Malaya...thanks to my ancestors boarding the junk, I get to be born in Malacca and become proficient in English.
 As for Chinese, I know a smattering of Mandarin, enough to get by!
 see? I actually married one of the descendants of Cheng Ho!!! I am 鄭   Mrs Tay or Pn Tay which also this blog's name

Zheng (surname) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_(surname)
It is written as in traditional Chinese script and in simplified Chinese... It is commonly romanized as Teh in Malaysia, Tay in Singapore  and The in Indonesia,[5] from the Min Nan (including Teochew) pronunciation of the 

character. In Korea it is Chung, Jung, or Jeong ( )and in 

Vietnamese it is Trịnh

Buddha statue with Swastika on his chest
 Beside the temple some chinese can be seen having tea and chilling
 so nice and rustic, lazy and easy time under shady trees
 the chinese stalls beside the temple manned by Batam chinese folk
 buns, and all things Chinese can be found here, we can buy it back for our supper
 chinese kueh amd desserts (kwai lin koh)
 herbal tea eggs
 ang koo kueh and carrot kueh
 nostalgic looking kettle boiling on embers of charcoal (I used to see this in my friend's house)
 peaceful and laidback atmosphere
 well stocked too
 making traditional chinese sweets
 then we went to the Kampung Oleh Oleh shop..oleh oleh means souvenirs, and the Malay staff are fond of buying oleh oleh to give away as presents and momentoes of their trip overseas.
my office staff actually ask for "oleh oleh" if they know that we are going off on trips!!
I bought the green colour sambal for myself, and also a bottle of the red chilli/sambal

 the civet cat dropping coffee powder was too expensive thought tempting


 had to buy the koboy crackers because he caught me taking his picture!!!
 the kids from my bus bought these "Naruto" set of dolls
 cute figurines!
 but blur picture!
 she also bought this beautiful figurine and she was complaining that she had to pay for the container too!
 they went back to the shop to get more, and I followed them out of curiosity!
 wow!!! rows of them!!! I do not know their names or recognise them!
 some of them looked cute though!
 the woman in yellow brought her kids, mother and auntie along on this trip
and they bought so many of the anime dolls!!!

No comments: