Thursday, February 27, 2014

Maid died a slow death

Police: Maid who allegedly killed stepbrothers died a slow death

SHAH ALAM: The Indonesian maid who allegedly killed stepbrothers Koay Jia Hong, five, and 18-month old Melvin Selvam Joseph before committing suicide on Tuesday is believed to have died a slow death.

Sungai Buloh OCPD Supt Junaidi Bujang said that the belief was based on the maid's condition upon being found in her employer’s house.

“There were air bubbles in the blood vessels. When air bubbles travel to the heart and block the blood flow, the person can die of air embolism. We are still waiting for the official post-mortem report,” he said.

Police have also ruled out foul play as four Rottweilers owned by the maid’s employer were guarding the house at the time of the incident.

He said the dogs are known to bark at and even attack strangers.

Supt Junaidi added that police are working closely with the Indonesian embassy to ascertain the real identity of the maid.

The two stepbrothers were found sprawled in a pool of blood at their home in Taman Sri Putra on Tuesday evening.

It is learnt that the boys’ 27-year-old mother, a coffeeshop operator, returned to her home at about 7pm to find the boys and the maid dead, with their throats slit.

boys' mother, only 27 years old

Initial investigations revealed that the maid, in her 30s, had slit the throat of five-year-old Koay upstairs before killing the younger stepbrother in the same manner on the ground floor near the kitchen.

The maid is then believed to have slit her own throat.

SUNGAI BULOH: Two stepbrothers, aged one and five, are believed to have been murdered by their Indonesian maid, who later committed suicide.
Their bodies were found sprawled in a pool of blood at their home here in Taman Sri Putra Tuesday evening.
It is learnt the parents, a coffeeshop operator and his wife, returned home at about 7pm, to find the three of them with their throats slit.
Sungai Buloh OCPD Supt Junaidi Bujang said initial investigations revealed that the maid, in her 30s, who had no documents, slit the throat of the five-year old on the upper level of the double-storey terrace house before the one-year-old boy's throat was slit on the ground floor, near the kitchen.
Supt Junaidi said that the maid then slit her own throat after murdering the two boys.
He added that there were three knives found beside the maid.
S. Sivakumar, 34, a neighbour who lives two houses away, said neither he nor his family members heard any noise from the house at the time of the incident.

"The family usually goes out in the morning to operate their restaurant nearby, leaving the maid and the two boys at home," he said, adding that there were nine people living the house including the three deceased.
‘Perfect maid’ murder poser
Melvin’s father, Selvan Joseph, 44, said the maid, known as Agnes, was introduced to him and his estranged wife by their former maid, who had moved to Johor with her husband.
He said Agnes, who was from Flores Island, was able to speak Mandarin and, although he and his wife knew she was residing in the country illegally, her language skill overrode other matters.
“She was also a good employee. She was hardworking and friendly and treated the children as if they were her own,” said Selvan, an independent IT consultant.
“We initially wanted a Filipino maid but when we met her and found out she could also speak Mandarin, we decided to employ her.”
Police said Agnes slit the throats of the stepbrothers in their home at Taman Sri Putra here before slitting her own throat.
“I can’t understand why she would commit such a horrible act,” said Selvan.
“Just the night before the incident, my wife and her family took Agnes out for a nice dinner with them.
“They said she was acting normal and there was nothing to indicate she had planned to kill the children.”
The boys’ mother, Koay Wan Nee, 27, and grandparents were at the coffeeshop they own when the incident took place.
Sungai Buloh police chief Supt Junaidi Bujang said the three bodies were discovered in a pool of blood by the boys’ grandmother who came home at 7.45pm.

The maid who slit throats of brothers and herself had no 

freedom, was cooped up in the house from morn to night 

and was driven to distraction, while missing her two own 


Selvan, who lives in another house nearby, said Agnes had on several occasions mentioned to him how much she missed her child back home.
“Whenever she watched me play with the children, she would tell me she missed her child and that she wanted to go back,” he said.
“Unfortunately she had no documents that would allow her to travel, so I told her she should meet the person who brought her into the country and ask for his help.”
Junaidi said police have ruled out foul play as the house was protected by four Rottweiler dogs known to bark at strangers who approach.
He also said the post-mortem result revealed the maid had died a slow death.
“The port-mortem revealed all three had died from incised wounds to the neck.
“The doctor who conducted the autopsy confirmed the maid had committed suicide based on several stab wounds to her chest and three small injuries at the left side of her neck before she slit her own throat.”
Neighbours were puzzled by the incident.
R. Vajenthimala, 35, who lives next door, said Agnes was seen working throughout the day.
“She never left the house without the family,” she said.

Another neighbour, S. Arumugan, 26, said he had met Agnes a few times when the family brought her to neighbourhood functions.
“She would keep to herself and tend to the children,” he said.
- See more at:

No comments: